Notice is given of the following Veterans Funerals:
Name: Anthony Strongie
- Born. 31/10/1927 Passed Away. 10/06/2021
- Service. Joined the Army towards the end of WW2.
- Where. Served in the Parachute Regiment with 6th Airborne division. Was part of the peacekeeping forces in Palestine after WWII. He often spoke of his time in Palestine and Egypt.
- After. After leaving the army, Mr Strongie worked as a foreman at Boddingtons Brewery and later did general building work before becoming a Lollipop man!
- Other. Mr Strongie had been a Legion member at Northenden many years ago but lapsed when they moved to Glossop. His hobbies included horses, crosswords, playing the harmonica and accordion and winning the Irish Lottery (well, trying to). He was a family man with two children; Michael and Carol. six Grandchildren and four Great Grandchildren.
As the lone piper plays going home, we thank you for your service Anthony.
Name: Tom Roper
Born.1926 Passed Away. 30/05/2021
Service. royal Navy
Where HMS Boxer, HMS Theseus, HMS Royal Arthur. Served, mainly in the Mediterranean
After – After leaving the Navy Tom worked at British Steel, he took early retirement. He worked in a care home within the village after retirement. He was also the Treasure for the church for forty years and held main roles in the church he loved.
Royal British Legion - Member of Stanton by Dale for 60+ years. A Committee member of Ilkeston branch when the branch became a Sub-Branch of Ilkeston. Tom worked closely with the Ilkeston PAO to continue to raise funds for the Poppy Appeal even after the branch became a County Supported Branch which he was the main Port of Contact.
Funeral 10:45 15th June 2021. St Michael and All Angels Church , Stanton by Dale, Derbyshire.
As the lone piper plays going home, we thank you for your service Tom.