Welcome to the King's Lynn and District Branch of The Royal British Legion
The Legion in Lynn
A brief history of The Royal British Legion in King's Lynn
During the latter part of the First World War it was apparent that large numbers of men had lost their lives in the service of their country, and many more would return home severly disabled. To ease the burden townships, parishes and local communities the government of the day encouraged civic dignitaries, town mayor's etc to start fundraising. In King's Lynn & District like many other boroughs the Mayor being the senior figure launched the scheme.
In 1917 with help from the Government the United Services Fund was established. It wasn't until after the war that families were able to apply for assistance, mainly because it was difficult to know what had happened to their men folk. Because of these difficulties many ex-Servicemen got together to form associations such as the Ex-Servicemen's Association, Soldiers and Sailors Association and United Services Association.
In 1919 The United Services Association moved to St James Hall and formed The United Services Club. In Jan 1921 the King's Lynn War Memorial in Tower Gardens was unveiled by Princess Mary to honour the 563 men who lost their lives. On 25 March 1921 ex-Servicemen in the Gaywood area got together and formed the Gaywood Ex-Servicemen's Association. At about the same time The Terrington and Sailors Association was formed.
On the 14 May 1921 the four main ex-Service associations merged to form the British Legion. On the 6 Feb 1922, The King's Lynn United Services Association joined the British Legion.
On the 26 October 1945 Gaywood Ex-Servicemen's joined the British Legion. In Oct 1946 Gaywood Women's Section joined the British Legion. In 1971, the Golden Jubilee Year, the British Legion was granted "The Royal" prefix and in 1981 the Diamond Jubilee Year, full membership was extended to serving members of HM Forces.
In 1998 Gaywood & District Branch joined King's Lynn & District Branch as a sub-branch, thus being able to carry on displaying their Standard. In November 1998 the King's Lynn & District Branch opened its Club in Regent Way.