Welcome to the Pawlett Branch of The Royal British Legion
The Handy Van Service is a free national initiative by the Royal British Legion, set up to help ex-Service men and women with small jobs around the house that they may find difficult to do themselves.
The Handy Van Service is designed to deliver low level home maintenance tasks, such as;
- A free household check for maintenance and security
- Carpentry work, e.g. installing a spy hole, flat pack furniture construction, installing and replacing internal doors and locks, etc.
- Plumbing works e.g. replacing a defective wash tap, replacing tap washers, unblocking sinks, replacing bath, shower or sink sealant, replacing bath or sink plugs and chains, repair and clearance of low level gutters.
- Installation of ramps, external and internal grab rails, construction of steps, installing toilet seat risers, etc.
- Installation of care line, telephones and key safes, change plugs and sockets, replace lightbulbs, etc.
Please note that the Handy Van Service does not carry out electrical work of any kind, major works such as wet rooms, and anything that involves working above ground level.
To be eligible for the Handy Van Service, beneficiaries must be;
- Over 70 years of age
- If below 70 years of age, they are considered "vulnerable"
- If below 70 years of age, not considered "vulnerable" but are on low income.
If over 70 years of age there is no financial assessment, but Service verification is required.
The Handy Van Service can be accessed through the local Welfare department, or please contact the Help Line;
RBL Welfare Help Line : 0808 802 8080