Welcome to the Little Common Branch of The Royal British Legion
The Little Common Branch of the Royal British Legion can trace
its roots to a meeting held at the Wheatsheaf Hotel on 10 November
1919. At this meeting it was agreed to form a "Post" of the
Comrades of the Great War in the village, owing to the long
distance for members to travel to meeting of the Bexhill Branch
(two miles on modern roads).
The landlord of the Wheatsheaf offered a room for three evenings
a week and meetings were held there until 1923.
The first social and fundraising event was a whist drive and
dance at the Village Institute on Boxing Day 1919, which raised £3
On 5 January 1920, it was agreed that a Club Committee should be
formed to manage the Club Room. This arrangement continues to
On 11 July 1921, the Committee agreed that the "Post of
Comrades" should be wound up and members agreed to accept the
Constitution of the British Legion, thereby forming the Little
Common Branch. At a subsequent meeting it was further agreed
that the formation of the Branch should date from 30 June 1921.
In March 1922, discussions began about the possibility of
obtaining Club premises. A piece of land
was acquired in Kennel Lane and a wooden hut was bought from
Cooden Camp for £180 with cartage and fitting out bringing the
total cost to £300. The Branch held its first
meeting in the new premises on 14 January 1923. The present
Club occupies the same site.